San Diego Sexual Medicine Fellowship Program
Our Sexual medicine fellowship training involves medical, surgical and psychological assessment and management of men and women with sexual dysfunction
Offering a one year combined clinical training & research opportunity
San Diego Sexual Medicine is a 5700 sq ft space dedicated to sexual medicine patient care and research, with an office for the fellow, a conference room for teaching, front and back waiting rooms, 4 exam rooms and two procedure rooms.
Dr. Goldstein has trained fellows in sexual medicine since 1984. Past fellows include many names that are well known and well respected such as John Mulhall, Hossein Sadeghi, Martin Bastuba and Ajay Nehra, current thought leaders in the field, past and present SMSNA board members, academicians and private practitioners. Of the 35 physicians who completed fellowships under Dr. Goldstein, all but two went from this fellowship to a position involving sexual medicine
The sexual medicine fellowship is open to North American medical school graduates as well as foreign students who are US citizens or resident aliens who have completed a residency in urology. Please note that San Diego Sexual Medicine cannot provide documentation for visas for non-US residents.
Train alongside the best
Experience a one-on-one mentorship with training in the medical & surgical management of men and women with sexual dysfunction
Fellowship experience opportunities
Sexual medicine involves medical, surgical and psychological assessment. Fellows in this sexual medicine will be trained in the medical and surgical management of men and women with sexual dysfunction. Psychologic evaluations are performed by our staff sex therapist and physical therapy evaluations by San Diego Pelvic Rehab, but the trainee will have an opportunity to interface with these experts as well as all staff at San Diego Sexual Medicine.
The most common surgical procedure performed at SDSM is microsurgical revascularization (approximately 30/year). Dr. Goldstein has more experience performing revascularization surgery than any other surgeon, and has trained those fellows interested in this procedure. This fellowship includes assisting in the OR for all revascularization procedures and learning to perform the surgery. The next most common surgery is penile implantation (approximately 20/year). As a tertiary care center SDSM provides an opportunity for the young urologist to learn not only how to insert a prosthesis, but how to do it in 15 minutes thereby minimizing infection rates, and how to perform the difficult implant placement. Other procedures include the Nesbitt procedure, correction of penile curvature, vulvectomy and vestibulectomy excisions.
Participation in this fellowship includes:
- Appointment in the Division of Urology, University of California at San Diego
- Clinical care of patients at San Diego Sexual Medicine, including both men and women with sexual dysfunction from the local community and around the world
- Clinical care of patients at San Diego Veterans Administration Hospital
- Surgery at Alvarado Hospital, a private hospital across the street from SDSM with state of the art equipment, and a friendly, knowledgeable nursing staff
- Surgery at San Diego Veterans Administration Hospital
- Sexual Medicine rounds at Alvarado Hospital monthly
- Urology rounds at University of California, San Diego including journal club, professors lectures, grand rounds
- Clinical research at San Diego Sexual Medicine including sponsored clinical trials and SDSM generated research
Upon completion of this fellowship, you will have an understanding of the rationale behind the step-care approach to sexual medicine and the ability to perform the following:
- Sexual history taking and physical examination of men and women with sexual dysfunction, including vulvoscopy in women.
- Laboratory tests and in office diagnostic procedures including duplex Doppler, dynamic infusion cavernosometry, quantitative sensory testing and nerve blocks. This includes learning how to perform these tests as well as interpret the results.
- Modification of reversible causes including medication changes, lifestyle changes for sexual complaints in men and women.
- First line therapies including PDE5s and hormone therapy, buproprion/dostinex therapy in men and women with sexual dysfunction. This includes learning how to interpret blood hormone values, when it is safe to treat post cancer patients, how to titrate medications, and when to move to second line therapies.
- Intracavernosal injection therapy with more than 15 mixtures, intraurethral injection, vacuum therapy, steroid blocks including how to determine which second line therapy is best for which patient.
- Surgical intervention as listed above, including assisting and performing surgical procedures.
Experience an opportunity to train alongside the founder of the field of sexual medicine, Dr. Irwin Goldstein